SUSAN BOYLE

Monday, 15 June 2009



You may wander but I actually watched Susan Boyle for the first time during the semi final of Britain Got Talent. That is how calculated I am buying into in-vogue phenomenon and euphoria. Don't get me wrong I am not a traditionalist or anything like that. I am only concerned about the longevity of in-vogue euphoria. So I take a bit of time to observe. As I ponder, I wander whether our hero-worshipping culture plus the recipe for instant fame is detrimental to our own success? Even before the final, Boyle already had the media on her case. How she wishes she had continued quietly in her village life with the peace and serenity that came with it. Though little known then, she was in every way special to her fellow villagers. At least she was free then to express her mind and vent her feelings without being criminalized by News of the World. What she once perceived as her bona fide privacy is now public property.

When we think that success means a 24 hr in the media scrutiny, endless snaps of paparazzis and plain intrusion into people’s affairs, can we really blame Susan for all this? Certainly there should be a way to enjoy success and still maintain a low profile? If not, then we are the architects our own success and destruction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHURCH OF PENTECOST RELAXES DRESS CODE

NIKE RESORTS TO NECROMANCY